Monday, March 2, 2015

Week 42 - Trapani, Sicily, Italy - Being Transferred

Famiglia e Amici,

I hope everyone is well and happy back home.  It was a good week in Trapani.  First off, we received transfer calls and I was a bit surprised to hear that I am heading to Bari, specifically Bari Libertà, and will be receiving a new missionary as a companion.  It will be a challenge to train and learn the city at the same time but I've heard very good things about the area so I am excited.  So, this last week after P-day ended on Monday we went to teach a new convert.  On the way back, I noticed this stray dog following me.  I am a little nervous around dogs so I crossed the street.  It crossed the street with me.  I crossed back over and started to fast walk and it kept following me. After a few blocks I gave up and let it walk by my side.  The dog started getting a little ahead of me, so I decided to hide behind a car.  It stopped after a bit when it noticed I was gone.  Then, as I was looking through the window of the car I saw that the dog was running back towards where I was and I also heard lots of barking.  I started to freak out a bit thinking that I ticked off the dog but then I saw this tiny little dog chasing the stray which was running away with its tail between its legs.  I guess the stray had followed us into enemy territory.  After that, we watched the one dog chase the other clear down the street and out of view before heading home.  The next day we went to the weekly district meeting before heading to my favorite place panini bomba to pick up the sandwiches to bring back to the other Elders.  The guys there recognized us so they gave me a half sandwich to eat while I was waiting (only took about 2 minutes to get 7 sandwiches.) They also gave us some free drinks and gave me a one euro discount.  I was pretty happy.  When we got back home we stopped at the apartment and I got in the elevator and pressed number 5 like always.  Then I realized Anz. Tew wasn't with me.  He apparently had seen somebody trying to unlock another door in the lobby to get in and he had helped them in.  I guess I was in autopilot mode or something.  Then we had a lesson and English course later that night.  The next day was pretty uneventful besides some street contacting, fallen through appointments, and a meeting with our branch missionary work leader.  He gave me his hat which is a typical Sicilian hat that all the old guys wear.  The next day we had a few lessons as well as English course.  The second lesson we showed an old church movie called Heavenly Father's Plan.  It's obviously from the 80s but the music and messages are perfect.  It went very well and the woman's 9 year old daughter gave a beautiful prayer at the end.  I explained how to pray (Caro Padre Celeste, middle part, nel nome di Gesù Christo, amen) before she did it but she still said, "Caro Gesù Celeste." (Dear Heavenly Jesus).  It was pretty cute.  The next day we planned and had some maintenance guys come to work on the water heater that was working perfectly fine (the owner wanted to do a routine checkup).  They dirtied up the house a bit and one guy decided it was alright to smoke a cigarette in the house... Then we had a lesson in the evening time that went very well.  The next day we had a few lessons.  On Sunday, we went to church and had a few investigators show up which was awesome.  Then we ate lunch which was a sausage and meatball pasta, more sausage, meatballs, steak, potatoes, pineapple, mango, strawberries, kiwi, and three different types of cakes.  Then we visited the old lady with the healing femur before heading home.  The weather has also been pretty good the last few days instead of constant rain.... mostly sunshine.  Well, that's all for now and I'll talk to y'all next week from Bari.

Anziano Blazzard

No comments:

Post a Comment