Monday, November 24, 2014

Week 28 - Trapani, Sicily, Italy

This week flew by.  On Monday we had a FHE at a member's home.  On Tuesday we had a district meeting and English course.  On Wednesday we met with an investigator in the morning  and than had Spanish course and some street contacting later that night.  On Thursday, I made chocolate chip cookies for English course (I thought it was Thanksgiving), had lunch at a member's home where I ate meatballs for the first time in Italy (they actually aren't that typical of Italian food I suppose), and we saw an investigating family and had English course.  The next day we planned and saw another investigating family and then did some street contacting for a few hours after a lesson fell through.  On Saturday morning we met with a new convert and then spent many hours per strada talking with people.  On Sunday, no investigators showed but later we ate a nice meal at a member's home and had a good lesson with a family.
Some funny stories now.  We saw a giant African man cleaning and singing to song by Rihanna in a high falsetto (Just gonna stand there... yeah that song... hilarious).  He didn't know anything but the chorus but he knew that chorus well.  I have been getting stopped on the street by young teenagers who like to practice their English.  Many times it's just some large groups of girls who mumble out "hello" while passing us and then start laughing really hard.  I really don't know how they know I'm not one of them.  And the worst is what happened Thursday.  I tried so hard to make a special Thanksgiving for the English course students with a Thanksgiving themed lesson and an American treat (chocolate chip cookies... doesn't really relate to Thanksgiving but what do they know).  Then, in the first ten minutes as I was explaining the history of Thanksgiving, one student looked up the date for Thanksgiving on his phone and told me that it was actually in a week. This is why having an obscure timing like the 4th Thursday in November is such a dumb idea.  I told them that I had already made the cookies and that we were celebrating it that day.  We then called the Elder in Bagheria who told me at DDM on Tuesday that Thanksgiving was that day and made him apologize to the class on speakerphone.  At any rate, the class enjoyed themselves and the cookies so it was a success.


This week will be busy.  We head to Palermo Tuesday for zone conference Wednesday and then Saturday and Sunday we have stake conference in Enna and Catania.  It will be a great way to spend my birthday in a cramped bus.  At least it is better than last year when I was in army training in Texas.  I had guard duty of an empty hallway for several hours.

Anziano Blazzard

No comments:

Post a Comment